Monday, May 28, 2012

Genmaicha- My Cuppa Tea

I love anything green tea.... cakes, mochis, jellies etc. Anything with green tea, I'm a fan! :-)

I can drink green tea all day long... one of my fav teas is Genmaicha- green tea with roasted brown rice grains.

More about Genmaicha on Wikipedia:

"Genmaicha ("brown rice tea") is the Japanese name for green tea combined with roasted brown rice. It is sometimes referred to colloquially as "popcorn tea" because a few grains of the rice pop during the roasting process and resemble popcorn. This type of tea was originally drunk by poor Japanese, as the rice served as a filler and reduced the price of the tea; which is why it is also known as the "people's tea." It was also used by those persons fasting for religious purposes or who found themselves to be between meals for long periods of time. Today it is consumed by all segments of society. "

Instead of buying ready packed teas in sachets, I love to buy a big pack of tea leaves and place them in filter bags and then brew them. I just love to make them on my own... pretty therapeutic for me :-) and needless to say, more economical too!


Bought this pack of Genmaicha from Daiso, store it in a container and I can make my own genmaicha anytime I want :-)


These tea filter bags can be bought from Daiso too. I use these filter bags for my soup stock as well, place ikan bilis inside and boil your soup stock, just take out the whole bag before consuming, easy peasy!


Just love the fragrance of the tea leaves and roasted rice grains.........hmm!


Place the tea leaves into a filter bag, no need to fill it up too full as the tea leaves and rice grains will expand


Seal it up!


Put the tea bag in a cup with hot water and let it steep for a while!

Ta-da! Your very own cuppa genmaicha...

You can do the same for other tea leaves like woo long tea, or even coffee beans!

Enjoy your cuppa tea, I know I am ;-)

22 friends spoke up!:

Adrine said...

Ooo...thanks for sharing this. I'm gonna pick up both items when I go to Daiso next time! :)

Kristie said...

You're most welcome Adrine ;-) Enjoy your cuppa tea!

LittleLamb said...

yes yes..n i like Lui Cha...also green ;)

Kristie said...

Ya Rachel, lui cha is green tea too ;-)

Kitty said...

Thanks for sharing. Me too love green tea. Will get these during my next visit to Daiso!

Kristie said...

You're welcome kitty ;-)

Small Kucing said...

Thanks....didnt know about this

Kristie said...

Welcome Kathy. More economical to make our teabags this way ;-)

Mummy Gwen said...

I feel like buying this tea now and try haha.

Kristie said...

Mummygwen, try and let me know if you love it! ;-)

Vickylow said...

Never try this kind of tea before, very new to me haha.

Kristie said...

It's nice! Green tea with roasted brown rice grains ;-) very fragrant!

Merryn said...

This is nice! I love having tea too. It clears the palette after a heavy meal.

Kristie said...

Same here Merryn. Exactly why I love drinking hot green tea!

Yan said...

I love green tea too.

Kristie said...

Yan, me too! ;-)

Jasmine said...

Hi Kristie, good choice! I love it too~ :-D

But I've recently been to Daiso at Plaza Sin & Sembawang Shopping Centre but couldn't find it anymore... I wonder if it's just out-of-stock? Did you manage to find any?

Che-Cheh said...

Thanks for the info. I just got hooked on genmaicha. Will get 'em at Daiso. Saw Coffee Bean selling them too but expensive and it's only partially roasted.

Kristie said...

I get mine from kl daiso ;-) but all daisos should carry the same products.

Kristie said...

Yes daiso one is cheap. Only RM5 per pack ;-)

FanG said...

love genmaicha too. will try this when i go to Daiso! haha!
usually bought from puregreenteas! their tea is awesome!! mayb you can try it! =)

happyichigo♥ said...

Hi
I saw this tea at daiso but not sure what it is so googled and found your entry.. Thank you so much for sharing. I need to go back to daiso and buy it togetehr with the filter.. I love genmaica!