Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Jayden on the 'Leash'

We've been comtemplating for some time on whether we should get a safety harness for Jayden since he started walking and exploring around in public places.

Of course, there's the notion that leashing a child is like taking your dog for a walk etc... many ppl were against it, especially the older generation. Anyway, we hesitated getting it for some time until recently when Jayden is out in public, he goes WILD... he would want to get out of his stroller and walk, which I totally understand... and when he walks, he doesn't want to hold our hands... so we are like chasing a wild goose on the loose! At the end of the day, both James and I become so exhausted just trying to keep up with him. Instead of going out on an enjoyable family outing, we become so tired and frustrated sometimes. And when we try to carry him or put him back in the stroller, he screams at the top of his lungs and cry until so 'cham' hai...

We decided to get it cos it's better safe than sorry. Sometimes, I'll just speak to James for a second and Jayden runs so quickly around the corner! We tell ourselves, no choice, better get one, for peace of mind, for safety.



The safety harness is really cute, we chose the lion cos Jayden is a Leo. It is designed in such a way that the animal is hugging the child from behind. So adorable :)

Since we started using it at the malls, we got so many stares from the public... can always hear them whispering away but we just DON'T CARE. What is more important than our very own child's safety? Of cos there are also people that say 'ah... that's the leash I'm talking about lah, was thinking of getting one...' we also get smiles from the public, thinking it's cute. Was just waiting for someone to say something stupid to me one day, and I will sure 'shoot' a sharp reply back at them.................. and yesterday there was this someone.

Was in the mall walking around with Jayden alone as James had to meet someone for a quick discussion. An old lady was walking by and saw us, she first gave us an awkward smile, I already knew what was on her mind. But I just didn't bother. Then she looked back at us again and said 'why leash him up, so poor thing' That got me really mad! I replied ' No choice' and stared at her. Just 2 words, and that shut her up! She didn't dare reply anymore, if she continued saying something more, she's going to get it from me.

Well, as we continue using it, we are bound to get many reactions from others. And I am sure some parents out there are using it too. Will use till Jayden understands instructions and doesn't go wild outside!

What are ur views? :)


14 friends spoke up!:

HN said...

You are right! Dont' care what others have to say .. Not their kids anyway :P He looks really cute with that leash :)

Merryn said...

:) I must learn not to stare at others with leash. lol. Jayden is all grown up now. So cute :)

Cynthia said...

I think another blogger mummy also use this.. and it's ok, it's for the safety of our child.. :D

BTW, there will be a blogger meets in December, hop over my blog for the details ya.. :D

Cath J said...

Ow.. I wanted that stuff too... Safety ^_^

the little prince said...

Well, if you've decided to have it, then do not need to bother how other ppl look at you! I see Jayden is fine with it in the photo,,,!!

Serene said...

Jayden is big boy now!! So cute of the Lion harness... for me that is cute! Leash up for our child's safety, don't bother what ppl say.

Mummy to QiQi said...

although i personally do not agree of leashing lil kids, but i do understand some parents had to do so for some reason. hey, my 2 naughty boys start belum merayau ler...who knows i might need to leash them one day. otherwise who to blame if the kids go missing right?

Esmeralda said...

I got the same lion harness for Ashton too Kristie. Yup, indeed we did get a lot of stares from the public, especially those "trying-to-be-nice" aunties, but they did get IT from me when they stared too long, and mumbled aloud... haha... too bad, I don't like to be stared by people for no reason at all, especially when it concerns the safety of my son...

Ashton too will be wild when we bring him out now, so we better be safe than sorry. True enough, I think kids at their age now don't like to hold their parents' hands-they just want to be free, while we chase them like mad...

Lemonjude said...

I blog about this not long ago and I like to leash on Terry in shopping mall, even he is not running wild now, but I still leash him on as the places is crowded I can still let him walk by himself..

My shopping trips comes so much pleasant now...when me and mummy moon out with the kids, they got leash up too...so a pair of leashing up kids walking in the mall, draws more eye attention on us...mostly they will give a surprise look and smile only. So far I still not hearing any not-so-nice comment about leash on..

Don't care how other ppl look on us...kid's safety is top priority then whether they are looking good or not, I will do anything to protect him...we will be crazy mad if found our kid not with us...not them...so continue to leash him on when u r out since Jay is ok to let you leash...

Kristie said...

HN, thanks... really been getting glances and stares from public, dont care lah! Yup, not their kids anyway! :)

merryn, thanks.

Cynthia, yeah it's not very common yet.... but more and more ppl are using it too :)

Cath J, yes it gives u a peace of mind!

Yugene, yup exactly :) thank God he's fine with it!

Serene, thanks :) Xixi also such a big girl already!

CN... never say never hehe... I used to think that leashing a kid is a bad idea! Who knows now I'm the one that is doing it :)

Esmeralda, so are u still using it now? True, don't bother is the best... but if they same something rude, I will definitely bark back!

Judy, it's good right? I definitely feel better when I have Jayden leashed up... feel more safe knowing he's always nearby! Good to have mummymoon go out together using the leash, I am sure u guys get lots of attention!

Esmeralda said...

Yes I'm still using it on Ashton when I brought Ashton to big shopping mall here, as a matter of fact, I just used on him yesterday. But now he kinda like to be so cheeky that he tends to run away from me till the limit of the harness, then wait for me to pull him back to me, and laugh aloud.

That's what people get from me when they showed me the long stares, and mumbled something about the harness. Sometimes why don't they mind their own business ya?

Kristie said...

Aiyoh this ashton also so cheeky and playful ya... he really knows how to play with u :) so u have to run after him hehe...

ya true... MYOB!

Mummy Gwen said...

I was looking for one last time but didn't know where to get one. Although Gwen will hold our hands when we go out, but sometimes it's good to leash her up when I'm paying at the counter coz she might wander away when I take my eyes off her even for a few seconds.

BTW, where did you get the leash harness from?

Anonymous said...

Do you have copy writer for so good articles? If so please give me contacts, because this really rocks! :)