Thursday, March 26, 2009

Self Feeding

video

Just a few days ago, I was feeding Jayden his lunch, and I had some fuji apples on the table, so halfway through I ate some of it and passed it to Jayden to try, as you can see in the video. I was happy that he really enjoyed it! He was munching on it so excitedly, cos it was his first time self feeding. I had to be careful though, cos he managed to bite off some big pieces in his mouth, I had to dig it out... :)

I think he is ready for self feeding already, of course still with adult supervision.

I was contemplating on getting the Munchkin feeder (below) for some time now. It costs around RM26 for one, it's sold at Jusco too.

All the nutrition with none of the risk.

This award-winning product allows your baby to enjoy lots of delicious foods without the choking risk. Simply put a piece of fruit, vegetables or meat into the mesh bag and snap shut. Your baby can chew, suck and enjoy all the whole food goodness and taste, with only the tiniest, digestible pieces coming through. Your baby gets great flavor and you get great peace of mind!

  • Textured handle easy to grasp
  • Pack of 1 or 2 feeders
  • Ideal for 6+ months

Want to check with all, has anyone tried this, and is it advisable to get it? Thanks :)

16 friends spoke up!:

MeRy said...

Too bad, can't giv any comment on tat item..i nvr bought be4 for Ryan.

eugene said...

never bought that item either, but i am also happy to come to blogs where mom or dad sharing their children's world, and thank god for blogging, we can always go back to all those memories,,,,

so your hubby is in Penang, if he get lost here,let me know, i am Penang's Tai Kou,,,(a tai kou that helps only blogger friends,hahahah)

visiting you here again,, take care, and family first no matter what otherwise we stand to regret it

Serene said...

Claps for Jayden.. he so fast master the skill of self feed already! Smart boy! Oh.. what happen to him in the video? Why mummy make the Ouch sound?

Lemonjude said...

I bought for Terry before and used less than 3 times. He dislike the food being put in the feeder, as he can't feel the food actual texture.

Also, I found he having hard time chewing with food in it...after eating with the feeder for like 10-15 minutes...the apple turns black and he can't finish all for just 1 small slice...so I still back to the basic...give puree and spoon feed and he can eat more. That time my boy don't know self feeding yet..

anyway you can try to get one for Jayden, may be he likes it.

Kristie said...

sure mery thanks :)

eugene thanks for visiting my blog, yes we made many good friends through blogging. He is coming back frm pg already, thanks dear.

serene, that wasn't an ouch sound lah hehehe.. i was laughing i think :p

judy, oic so that time u hold for terry to try from the feeder?

Anney said...

Was he yawning or about to sneeze after eating the apple? hehehe! So cute! I think he's ready to self feed.

Kristie said...

anney, u know when u actually taste something sour? and ur whole body quivers? that is what jayden did :) thanks.

Baby Darren said...

I bought that for darren too. Well, not too bad I can say although to certain extend, I agreed with Judy about the texture of the cloth. But somehow Darren enjoyed eating it..especially when I filled it up with banana. But it is not easy to wash it though...

I think worth getting it as you are not afraid he will get choke but at the same time, he can enjoy feeding himself with fruits...

Esmeralda said...

Wow... he's so excited with the fruit lar... Great job Jayden.. That's your 1st self-feeding effort! Bravo! Haha... I think he almost choked nearing the end of the video right? Pity boy...

I think that the feeder is a good buy, though I never come across such accessory when I need it, but provided it's 110% safe...

Kristie said...

baby darren, thanks for ur advice, ya i guess the washing part will be the hardest part :)

esmeralda, he didnt choke towards the last part... i think he quivered cos maybe it was a little sour? but the fuji apple was very sweet, so i dont know why he made that expression hehehe... ya am thinking of getting it... see how lah, but still must supervise him using it. Cannot leave child alone when self feeding!

slavemom said...

I nvr used any special feeder for the kids. I jes scrape the fruit with a spoon n feed them. At this age, it's best u don't let him eat hard fruits on his own. Even under supervision, it's still possible he bites off a big chunk. Vy risky.

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Thanks for sharing about the Munchkin feeder, I did not know about such a thing until I saw it here.
For the piece of mind, maybe you could buy one and try?

Jayden is very clever leh...he is more faster in picking up the skills for self feeding than Sarah. Last time Sarah only know the skill at 11 mths old.

Was Jayden almost got chocked at the end of the video? The sound like..."kiuk" from him?

Kristie said...

slavemom, thanks for ur advice :)

joanne, yes i thought of getting one... i think it will help encourage him in self feeding and independence too!

i think every child develops skills at diff age :) what was the first thing that sarah tried to self feed?

joanne, the sound that jayden made was as if he tasted something sour... towards the end also i laughed... :)

Esmeralda said...

I see... maybe it's too cold/sweet. Sometimes babies are like that coz they are just being introduced to new taste - sweet... so they are not used to it yet... :) Yup... you must supervise him... can't let your eyes go astray for even a second...

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

For Sarah, she was trying to eat bread for her first finger feeding.
You may have a look here
http://samydy.blogspot.com/2008/08/finger-feeding-my-100th-entry.html

Oo...that sound from Jayden was when he tasted something sour. Ok, now I see...So cute..

piggie piglet chickie said...

jayden is showing those funny expression...i thought he was eating orange..hehehe...
good job jayden~ big boy
muacks~~