Saturday, March 14, 2009

Brown is the way to go!


I first started eating brown rice when I went down to stay with my grandparents a few years back. They were eating brown & red rice everyday and they introduced it to me, saying it's a much healthier alternative to normal white rice. When I first ate it, I wasn't used to it as it has a much chewier texture compared to white rice and I get full very fast. I grew to love it very much and I now eat only brown rice at home, my hubby is also getting used to it :)

When I went to see my paed in one of those many consultations over the last few weeks, I mentioned to him that Jayden was having constipation. So he said why not try brown rice for him? I told him that I wanted to try it for Jayden but wasn't sure if it was suitable for babies, so he said, Go ahead, why not? Brown rice is high in fibre, vitamin B6 and more!

Therefore, I immediately went to buy a pack of brown rice to use it for his porridge. It takes a much longer time to cook due to its outer layer, husk and still has a chewy texture after cooking, so I will puree the porridge a little so that Jayden can eat it easily as now he still has phlegm and cough.

-----------------------------------------
These are some info on brown rice:

The process that produces brown rice removes only the outermost layer, the hull, of the rice kernel and is the least damaging to its nutritional value. The complete milling and polishing that converts brown rice into white rice destroys 67% of the vitamin B3, 80% of the vitamin B1, 90% of the vitamin B6, half of the manganese, half of the phosphorus, 60% of the iron, and all of the dietary fiber and essential fatty acids. Fully milled and polished white rice is required to be "enriched" with vitamins B1, B3 and iron.

The difference between brown rice and white rice is not just color! A whole grain of rice has several layers. Only the outermost layer, the hull, is removed to produce what we call brown rice. This process is the least damaging to the nutritional value of the rice and avoids the unnecessary loss of nutrients that occurs with further processing. If brown rice is further milled to remove the bran and most of the germ layer, the result is a whiter rice, but also a rice that has lost many more nutrients. At this point, however, the rice is still unpolished, and it takes polishing to produce the white rice we are used to seeing.

Benefits of brown rice:

  • Manganese-Energy Production Plus Antioxidant Protection
  • Women Who Eat Whole Grains Weigh Less

  • Brown Rice is Rich in Fiber and Selenium

  • Lower Cholesterol with Whole Brown Rice

  • Significant Cardiovascular Benefits for Postmenopausal Women

  • Phytonutrients with Health-Promoting Activity Equal to or Even Higher than that of Vegetables and Fruits

  • Lignans Protect against Heart Disease

  • Reduce Your Risk of Metabolic Syndrome

  • Brown Rice and Other Whole Grains Substantially Lower Type 2 Diabetes Risk

  • Tune Down and Bone Up on Brown Rice

  • A Good Source of Fiber
    Fiber from Whole Grains and Fruit Protective against Breast Cancer

  • Help Prevent Gallstones

  • Whole Grains and Fish Highly Protective against Childhood Asthma

More info here.


Carrot and apple brown rice porridge, Jayden likes it cos it's sweet :)

I hope this will help Jayden with his bowel movements and I am sure he will benefit from the nutrients of brown rice. Since he is taking porridge everyday, instead of using white rice, I will use brown rice from now on! Is anyone into brown rice like me? :)

19 friends spoke up!:

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

My mom used to cook brown rice, but after my dad and siblings complaint about the rice texture, so now we just eat the normal white rice.

Jayden still has phlegm? Erm..how long the prob has persist?

Woww...you are very creative mommy too, used apple to cook porridge. I always thought to try it on Sarah, but unsure of the outcome.

MommyAngel said...

Sometimes I do use brown rice to cook porridge for Angel but I didn't know they will help the poo poo as well, thanks for the info. But normally I just add in 1/2 brown rice / red rice and half white rice, never tried all brown rice before. Maybe I should try ....

MeRy said...

I never tried brown rice before....Kristie, u r so creative, adding apple in the porridge. Do u blend the apple first?? How do u cook it?

Let Jayden drink more water.U ever tried barley water for Jayden?

Serene said...

Yes, my mum always cook brown rice for us. But honestly we all dont like the texture.. kekeke.. very bad ah?? For we know mummy want us to be in good health, so we just eat without complain.. heheh =)

eLaiNe said...

hi. i am not a fan of brown rice but i do agree with u on the nutritional values of brown rice. so, kate's porridge consists of white rice, brown rice & quinos. i am also using the same brand. kate seems to love it too.

LittleLamb said...

A combination of different grains is good. I used millets, quinos, sugee too..

Anney said...

I had tried brown rice when I was on this so called cosmo body 7 day diet. It's really a bit chewy compared to white rice. Right now I try not to eat rice anymore. I'm trying to lessen my carbohydrates intake. But I liked the brown rice!

Esmeralda said...

So creative! Apples in porridge? How did you cook it? Did you peel of the skin?

We also took brown rice, but only 1:1 ratio. I also don't dare to use brown rice for Ashton as I was worried that he can't swallow the coarse texture... Maybe I should try this time...

Great job for the new recipe...

mommy to chumsy said...

wow, i didn't know that kids can eat brown rice. the porridge looks yummy.

slavemom said...

I used to let CE eat brown rice when we cooked his meal separately. Wat I do is soak the rice b4 cooking. So it doesn't take so long to cook it soft. But now he usually eats the fragrant white rice like us.

Oliveoylz said...

I'm not into brown rice (yet) but it's definitely something for me to re-consider due to it's benefits.

little prince's mummy said...

I did cook brown rice for my boy sometimes...

Mummy Gwen said...

I never tried brown rice before but heard alot of great benefits about it. The porridge looks yummy though..hehe

FAMILY FIRST said...

My mom mixes white rice and red rice and occasionally some brown rice. 50-50. Not too bad also.

Kristie said...

joanne- yup not many people are used to the texture, more chewy!

Jayden's cough is still there, cos he got sore throat from me, hai! so 2 sick people together so much harder to recover...

Joanne u should try apples inside, very nice sweet taste :) i use fuji apples only as i love to eat them too. It's advisable to include at least 1 vege and 1 fruit in their diet, so it's a good combination!

caroline- the combination sounds good too! i havent tried red rice before, should be good too! Do try and let me know :) Yes brown rice is very high in fibre so it does help in bowel movements.

Mery- just cut apples into cubes and boil together with porridge, it cooks very fast, after that i will blend the porridge with everything inside.
Mery, jayden doesnt like to drink water!!!! I tried barley water too... he doesnt fancy it much.

serene- so nice of u mother... yes brown rice is much healthier but many people are not used to it! :)

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

O, so fuji apple is more nice and sweet ya. Ok, if the next time I saw it, I will try your recipe. Thanks ya.

Qistina's Mama n Abah said...

Me my self cant take normal fragrant rice..but never try brown rice. Is it the same?

Last time my auntie eat fragrant rice, only if I am forced i go and take some from her house.Other than that I dare to be hungry..hehehe...

Little Inbox said...

Hubby & I stick to brown rice since a year ago. Good choice!

Kristie said...

joanne- yup, there are many diff types of apples, granny's smith , green apples etc.. i love fuji apples cos they are crunchy and sweet!

sha- wonder why u cant take fragrant white rice? cant be allergic ah??

little inbox- yup it's absolutely yummy!