Saturday, January 17, 2009

Homemade baby food

Since Jayden's paed has given the green light for him to start semi solids from the last visit, I'm planning to make my own baby food, which is pureed vegetables/fruits. He has just started on brown rice cereal with milk. He loves it so far, managed to finish everything in the bowl! This is the brown rice cereal which Jayden is taking now:Am so excited to start off with more exciting food for him! I am in the search for storage containers for pureed food, I'm actually looking for ice cube trays with covers, anyone knows where to find them? Does Daiso sell them? I have no idea where to start searching for them. Baby food cubes is another alternative, but a little pricey, costs around RM40+ for set of 8 cubes of 2oz each.
Ice cube tray with lidBaby Food Cubes

Anyone any idea? Thanks.

20 friends spoke up!:

LittleLamb said...

i used the normal ice cube tray. then use glad wrap to wrap it. then put in air tight tupperware. after 1 day, when it is all frozen, i remove the cubes n put in smaller tupperware each. so that when i want to steam for eating..i just take out the required portion :)

Good luck in the semis..Its a lot of food cooking for the young ones :) well i did!

eLaiNe said...

hi kristie. i used the baby food cubes for kate. i have 3 sets of 2oz cubes. its convenient to use cos there is no need to transfer into another container for heating and traveling.

however, its only a nice to have and not a necessity cos its really not too much a trouble transferring. moreover, kate kinda grew out of it within a couple of months cos she eats quite a bit.

now, i m still using it to store chicken stock & homemade deserts for her. so, its still not a waste. will leave it to u to decide. have fun.

Kristie said...

rachel- yup, that is what i plan to do too. Just better if I could get ice trays with lids :) I think I might find them soon!!!! After freezing them, I will store them in tupperware/ziplock bag. Thanks so much!

kate- thanks for ur advice. Yup using ice trays are a much cheaper option. The food cubes is definitely a luxury item for me... so to save money, I will use ice trays instead! Good to know that the food cubes are still serving u well :) hugs to kate!

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

It is good that Jayden likes cereal. I remembered last time Sarah dislike it, so it ended up in the dustbin..hehe.

Anyway, for me, last time I also thought to get something like ice cube tray, but lazy to find and get it..So I just use TUPPERWARE to store all the food in the freezer.

the little prince said...

Never thought of using this for my BB cos I do it every time fresh cos my hubby do not like it to be freeze.......thanks for the info.

Merryn said...

err i have nothing intelligent to share here coz with ethan i just started him with cereal n then straight to rice! n then adult food n from 12 mths onwards he is eating what i eat everyday.. all these is the result of me being not so well-informed n educated on baby's well being.. haih.. (dat's why ler.. when ppl reading parenting magazine, i m reading entertainment mags!)

Kristie said...

joanne- really ah? wah thank God jayden likes it... I really didnt think he wouldnt like it, I hope he would anything just like me and daddy... not fussy with food!

yes i will use tupperware also once the pureed food has been frozen, thanks dear!

yugene- thanks for ur idea, yes fresh is a good idea too.

merryn- but that is good also right, at least Ethan is not fussy with food, easier to handle too :) so u mean ethan starting eating rice at what age?

Serene said...

Wow.. how time flies, Jayden already start semi solid!
For the baby food cube, I also didn't use it before but same as Joanne, i stored food or snack using Tupperware.

chanelwong said...

I have not really tried solid on Ariel yet...

I got the covered one which I bought from Tupperware during sales...

Kristie said...

serene, yup i guess all these are good enough. Just concerned about food wastage if use too big tupperware. Anyway thanks ya :)

Kristie said...

chanel- u mean u got the covered ice tray? that is a good purchase! btw, how much u bought it?

how old is ariel now?

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Yalor...thats why I think Jayden is a good boy, he can accept all kinds of food.
- O, you will be using TUPPERWARE too?

Kristie said...

joanne, i tried giving papaya to jayden today and he doesnt like it haha.... cos it has a bitter aftertaste! :)

I have a few plastic containers and tupperware containers too, will use them to store the frozen purees!

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Kristie, maybe Jayden is still not used to the taste of papaya. Give him some time. I am sure he will like it later. For Sarah, this is her fav fruit.

Yes, I think storing the pureed food in the tupperware is ok too. As long as you dont keep opening it after storing it, then should be fine.

Kristie said...

thanks joanne, i will try again next time :) good that sarah likes papaya! good for bowel movements.

Yup that is what i do now, i will store them in ziplock bags, once i run out of them, then i will use tupperware :)

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

The main reason I feed Sarah with papaya is to improve her bowel movement too..Luckily she likes it.

- I wonder where did you buy the ziplock bags?

Kristie said...

joanne good to know that sarah likes it... i am sure she seldom have constipation problems then!

u can find ziplock bags in most supermarkets :)

christine said...

i use sassy's containers and the babycubes tray. i find both of them useful for storing LF's food.

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

OK, thanks for your info.

Kristie said...

christine- what are sassy containers? oh so u also got their baby food cubes as in the pix in my post?

Good to hear that both of these are serving u well :)

joanne- u are most welcome!