Friday, December 12, 2008

My Breast Friend

Since Jayden was 3 mths, my bm was reduced significantly, this was due to the fact that I fell ill. I was down with severe diarrhoea and vomiting, and after that, my bm just cascaded down like a waterfall... yes that was how fast it went down....

I tried several methods such as the milkmaid tea, pumping, drinking lots of water etc... even called my midwife, and she said, 'no worries... it will come back eventually, your body needs one month to recover cos you lost so much water when you fell ill....'

well as at 3 1/2 mths, I gave up bf totally. I was so stressed up trying to boost my supply, and this really made me so upset. And I can't stand the idea of Jayden not getting enough feeding, also he's such a big eater, huge appetite...

I really envy mothers who have an abundance of bm... I know some of them throw their bm away because of over-storage! I don't even have that luxury of choice!

Anyway, now Jayden is totally on formula and I must say, mummy is not so stressed up, and that makes me a happier mummy! Happier mummy can look after Jayden better and makes Daddy less stressed too :)

20 friends spoke up!:

Something About Us said...

I was also stressed up when I do not have enough...nearly gotton the blues.

Till now, I still feel guilty for not giving my kids BM

- Ling

LittleLamb said...

correct. no need to pressure yrself. and now Jayden is happy with formula. U already did a good job for 3.5 months.

MommyAngel said...

Kristie, don't worry .... you have done great all these while. Hats off for you.

Actually sometimes a happy mother is the most important factor in taking good care of our baby. I know how you feel and I have been through that too and it was a nightmare to me until now.

Leeyen said...

yes, choose the way you think is the best to both of u!

Jaanvi said...

Hey Kristie
whats important is the intention and this thing is working good for all of you so nothing like it.. :)

Mummy Gwen said...

Hey, I didn't breast feed my Gwen coz my supply also tak cukup. I don't feel bad wor...see I'm the ultimate bad mummy.

Kristie said...

ling- yeah i feel really bad at first, but now it's much better. Dont feel so guilty ok, everything happens for a good cause. Your kids are still healthy, that's the most important!

rachel- thanks for the kind words :)

caroline- yup i totally agree, bf is really challenging! yes, a happy mummy= happy baby

leeyen- yes i discussed this with my hubby, he's a great supporter.

jaanvi- yes true!

mummy gwen- so u didnt bf from the start ya? no lah dont say bad mummy.... :)

Kadus_Mama said...

Of course BF is one best thing you can give your baby. But no point doing so if you get all stressed up..at least now you are stress free already..
I stopped BF my daughter 1 week before her 1st birthday coz' my body cannot cope with bf anymore..it's a 24hours job and i got really stressed..guilty feeling at first, but eventually i got over it..

Fussy mum said...

that's right...no point getting so stress up over this issue. You already did your best for 3.5 months. :)

Serene said...

Kristie, don't stress yourself. You already done your best to BF Jayden for 3.5months! Thats very good already..

I remembered last time for once i fall sick and on medication, i expressed out my BM, and throw away... I have 7-8oz each time. The feeling was so heart pain!!

the little prince said...

Its ok...You have done a good job...think of those do not have BF at all....

I am proud of you where you have BF for 3.5 months!!

Adrine said...

Hi Kristie. A little advise from me - pls don't give up completely.

My breastfeeding journey was a very bumpy one with plenty of tears from both Elyssa and myself. When she was 4 mths, I "surrendered" and she became 100% reliant on formula for her daily needs. However, I still let her suckle directly every weeknight and weekends. I thought that even tho the amt is not much, it's still better than nothing, and I tot that I could do it for a few weeks.

Surprisingly, Elyssa is now 8 months and there's still some BM for her to "snack" on every day.

So, try to give this a shot. I think a little BM is still better than none.

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Actually Kristie you already done a very good job in supplying bm to Jayden for the first 3 mths. Some mothers even dont have that...
- Yes, I think you should be happier now as Jayden has found his right formula and he is a happy baby drinking his current milk.

Kristie said...

kadus mama- yes i agree, that's the best gift that only mummy can give. Wow, u bf for 1 yr, that's fantastic :)

fussy mum- thanks :)

serene- wow, ur supply not bad huh!

yugene- thanks, yes at least i've tried!

adrine- thanks, let me consider :)

joanne- yes i felt bad at first that i cant provide jayden with the best... but overall it's a better choice, getting stressed is no joke!

Bonnie said...

Dont stress urself, you already did a good job managed to bf Jayden for 3.5 months. Compare me that not even more than 3 days. I still felt guilty till today. But all I can do now is provide him better care and more love now.

Kristie said...

bonnie, thanks. Yes sometimes I feel I've already tried my best, maybe I do deserve a pat on my back :p

Dont worry and feel guilty.. maybe try bf longer for no.2? :)

Esmeralda said...

Kristie.. Yup we r in the same boat. I also faced limited supply of BM even though I'm well... So sad sometimes... Sometimes I really envy those mothers that can store their BM in the freezer...!

Kristie said...

yup esmeralda, never mind lah, it's over already... u know one funny thing? that day i just tried to bf jayden again, but he doesnt want to latch on anymore!

yup i also envy mummies who have so much storage to the extent of throwing some 'old stock' away too....

Esmeralda said...

Haha... yup, that happened to me too. When I tried to bf Ashton about a month after he's 100% on formula, the first impression he gave me is the weird look, and the "geli" feeling like wanna vomit..

Kristie said...

hahah esmeralda, exactly the same lah!

jayden also gave me a look like, ey why so familiar one? hahahah