Saturday, December 13, 2008

Mambo Jumbo Bumbo

I know everyone knows so much about this Bumbo seat, and many lucky babies these days have one of these... I've been contemplating for months now as to whether I should get one of this for Jayden... not only me actually, even my hubby. But the one hesitating is actually me, yes mummy always worry about spending too much.

I went to Mothercare over the weekend just to browse around and saw it on display. I asked the salesgirl if I could open and try it out, and she said ok. I was so excited! I put Jayden in and he seemed very comfortable sitting in it.
The price of one piece is not cheap, that is why I've been asking myself whether I should get it... but according to my hubby, he said, why not? at least you don't have to keep carrying him... (cos now he doesn't like to lie down all the time...) I'm just worried after getting it, then Jayden doesn't want to sit in it...
Mummies who have one of these for your baby, do you think it is worth it to get one? And if you own one, till how old can he/she sit in it?

24 friends spoke up!:

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

Jayden looked like a big boy when sitting on the bumbo seat.
For me, I also dont have any bumbo seat for Sarah, so when she was small, I always put her on the bouncer, but luckily she was ok with it.
Anyway, I think bumbo seat always sell at quite a high price but if you found it really useful, then why not...

Kristie said...

joanne, that is the thing, its cost makes me think twice!

yup jayden is big boy liao :)

2ma said...

we hv a green one bought 4 years ago for shan leo & now shan rae. its quite useful, but depends on the boys coz right now we cant put shan rae in without keeping a close eye on him coz he will lean backward!

other times, we will put the bumbo seat on top of the table, or those big chairs. u can consider one if u r planning, baby 2 & 3...

Jaanvi said...

Hi Kristie
Even I didn't bought one for my son because of the price quotient only..I always found them not worth the price... I used to make him sit with the pillows and cushions and he loved it.

Kristie said...

2ma- yup very worth it for u since it's been brought down from no.1 to no.2!

i thought it's advisable not to put it on a high surface, only on the floor ya? But i guess with someone supervising, it should be ok.

jaanvi- yup very pricey for a 'seat'! good that ur son enjoys the simple pleasures in life.

Wonderful Life said...

Ya, it's really expensive lor and I think won't be able to use for longer period. That's why I didn't get this for my boy as my MIL has the old bamboo chair which was used by hubby when he's a small baby.

We let Ryan sit in the chair and not more than a month, he started to fuss and wants to get up from the chair.

Besides, we also let Ryan sit up on the fisher prices rocker chair. He also tries to get up from the rocker too...

I guess it's pretty hard to tie him down on any chairs... haha.

Bryan and Brandon's Mama said...

Wow Jayden looks steady!! Mine the head and neck still floppy. To think that he's turning 5 months next week! I used that for a while with Bryan but he didn't like it. I'm waiting for try it out with Brandon. It doesn't last too long, I warn you so in my personal opinion, it's not worth that RM199 - mine is actually on loan from my bf.

Serene said...

It's indeed a "luxury" chair for kids nowadays. I also didn't buy one for Xixi, same as Joanne I put Xixi on the bouncer last time but she also can't sit long, so i don't think she will stay long at the bumbo seat too.
Just my opinion thru Xixi's experience la =)

LittleLamb said...

I bought it for Philip when he was 3/4 months old. We used it until 9-10months plus. We use the chair normally for feeding. Price was RM150 incl the table top from mybbstore. (sale time)

The reason i got is because i dont hv a chair for philip. his bouncer was too small for him.

Now, the chair is with the cousin. So I guess this is the ROI.. we pass on from one family member to another.

There is another brand by Vital Years and similar product n selling cheaper.

Natalia said...

I didn't get one for Daniel. First its really expensive. Second Daniel is a big baby with fat fat thighs and grow up very fast, I'm afraid he can't use it longer enough compare to other baby.

Mummy Gwen said...

I didn't get one for Gwen too. I also put Gwen on the bouncer and when she was learning to sit that time, I propped her up with lots of pillows. Jayden looks like enjoying sitting on the Bumbo chair. I think it's useful when he starts on solids. Maybe you could get a 2nd hand one?

Kristie said...

doreen- u definitely have a hyperactive boy over there! haha :) active child who wants to explore and move around.... ya i guess jayden might not want to sit in it for too long too... thanks :)

bryan and brandon's mama- u are lucky at least u got to test it out from a loan... the only chance i got to put jayden in it was in the pictures taken at mothercare hehhe... ya very fast, jayden will be turning 5 mths soon!


serene- ya lor, kids nowadays so lucky right... my mum used to tell me, last time she was put in a box! haha...

rachel- yes, if u plan for more kids or can pass to their cousins, of cos it's more worth it... the price u got is the cheapest so far during sales.

natalia- haha yes u always talk abt daniel's big thighs hehehe.... so cute! luckily u didnt get ya, i dont think daniel can use it for long also!

mummy gwen- yeah good idea to just prop them up with cushions...

good idea on 2nd hand one!

slavemom said...

I got it from SIL. It was vy useful during feeding time as I don't hv a hi chair. Maybe u can chk out those online bb stores (littlewhiz or mybbstore) for disc.

Kristie said...

slavemom- yes it's definitely a useful item, just the price factor not so 'friendly' on the pocket hehe...

thanks!

Merryn said...

i bought one for my ethan when he was 9 mths old n now at 16 going on 17 mths i still use it when cutting his hair.. i find it extremely useful as i can do my gardening and all and finally get to use BOTH of my hands as he is sitted there nicely next to me..
http://submerryn.blogspot.com/2008/12/27-mommy-blogger-or-mommy-barber.html

Kristie said...

Merryn, glad that ur bumbo seat is of good use, very worth it since you have used it for so long :)

thanks for dropping by...!

2ma said...

kristie, we put the bumbo chair on those hard surface chair, and of course, we will keep eye on him! especially now that he will lean backwards when he wants to get out of his bumbo

Mommy to Chumsy said...

hahaha...he looks so cute in the bumbo chair. we got one for ashley last time. IMHO, not very useful cos you got to really keep an eye on the child. Plus he/she would only sit on it for 2 or 3 months only. Rather dangerous when the child try to get up all the time. Happened to Ashley and she almost fell out.

Kristie said...

2ma- if i get one of these, the purpose is so that jayden has somewhere safe to sit while i go get something and leave him for a while. Ya better always keep an eye on shan rae, an active lil' fella!

mommy to chumsy- hahah thanks, ya jayden looks really comfy in that seat. So Ashley has stopped using it since when? Never mind can pass on to others or the next one :)

Rachel said...

Hi Kristie,

Chanced upon your blog. I got the Bumbo seat for my kid when he was about 6 months, only lasted about 4months or so. After a while he was 11 months just refused to sit in it and started to walk.

Not such a good investment for me, but can consider if you are having more than one.

Kristie said...

hi rachel, thanks for dropping by, i've hopped over to urs too, kyle is so adorable!

i'll add u on to m blogroll ya? :) cheers!

Kristie said...

yes rachel, i also agree that if u are only having one child then it's not really worth it to get a bumbo seat, unless u can pass on to ur niece/nephews etc.

Esmeralda said...

Oh... Jayden knows how to sit liao? Time really flies... I tot he knows how to lie down and flip around, but sitting? U hv a strong boy there Kristie.. Way to go Jayden.. U really suprise ppl..

Kristie said...

esmeralda, thanks! yes, jayden surprises me everyday! ya he can sit with support lor :)