Monday, December 22, 2008

Baby Walker


Would like to check with mummies out there, when did you start to let your child use a baby walker? And when is the best time?

My father said these walkers are not good for babies at this age, Jayden is now coming to 5 mths. He said it is because their bones are still soft and if you let them go on these walkers too soon, they will become bow-legged in the future, is it true?

I'm thinking of getting one for Jayden to jalan-jalan around the house!

27 friends spoke up!:

Merryn said...

Johnsons expert said a walker actually slows down ur baby's independence in walking. but if u need to use it, use it for not more than 30 minutes at a time. ethan starts using a walker at 5-6 mths and i make sure he uses it only around 20 minutes at a time. but in the end he doesnt seem to like it n prefers crawling..so in the storeroom the walker goes.

agnes said...

I bought one to chloe when she turned 6 mths... I know some let their baby sit on it even earlier... to me, as long as you find their leg is strong enough where managed to support their own weight.. that's the best time gua.. coz according to my midwife, if they cant support their own weight and u put them on walker will somehow 'force' them to walk and support their body weight.. and ended up with bow-legged..

Therefore, not exact 'best' time for it & more advisable to be given after 6 mth old loh.. ;)

Mummy Gwen said...

I follow the westeners way of parenting..haha. So, I never let Gwen use any walker.

Kristie said...

merryn- thanks for ur advice, at least i've learned something new! :) maybe can keep the walker for no.2? hehe!

agnes- so when did chloe start on the walker? i guess i'll just play by ear, thanks!

mummy gwen- i've known westerners who used baby walkers too!

little prince's mummy said...

I let my boy sit in the walker when he can sit stable~

Kadus_Mama said...

When your baby is able to stand momentarily, he should be ok with that walker already..! Both my kids first sat at their walker when they were 5-6 months..!

Jaanvi said...

I got the walker for my son when he was 6 and a half months old. Your father is right, 5 month old baby has soft bones and walker can slow down the growth process.
And when u start using it,don't overindulge, 30 min to an hour but not more than that. When ur child is around 8-9 months old, u can give him the practise of walking by holding his hands.

Adrine said...

I read from the Western parenting books that it's not advisable to use a walker. So I decided not to let Elyssa use.

Baby Darren said...

Some said walker may cause accidents when turn over..anyway, I did let darren use walker when he is around 9 mths. Just for him to explore but not for long.

You just need to be careful if ur house got steps and i think 5 mths old is a bit too young for walker.

Kristie said...

peiwun- ya important that he can his unsupported first ya :)

kadus mama- wow 5-6 mths, quite fast ya ur kids can stand momentarily!

jaanvi- thanks, will keep that in mind :)

adrine- yup i've read some books which mentioned this before. I think mainly is because of the accidents caused by walkers.

baby darren- ok i will see when jayden is more strong in his neck and leg support then maybe it is a better time. Yup my purpose now is also to let him explore.. cos he doesn't want to lie down all the time, wants to sit up and explore or should i say kepo! haha!

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

For me, I have asked this question to the Paed before when Sarah was 5 mths old. She said is better to wait till baby is 6 mths old only let them sit on walker. So I just follow her advice lor..hehe.

Even when Sarah was 6 mths old, she is also not good and strong in mastering the walker, so I have to put some pillow in front of her chest to prevent her from getting hurt when she keeps tilt forward.

nicole said...

Kristie
better time is 5 - 6 mths
Jessica i let her sit during 5 month
Jacelyn case is earlier (4 months), coz not choice, her leg muscle quite strong, if i hug her, she step my tummy and jump.
We let her sit on walker 10-20 mins only, with pillow support. she will enjoy to watch movie
Most of pead advice is let them start frm 6 mths

lil' twinkle said...

as long as i can remember, shan leo sits on a baby walker for a short while...and i have also heard its not good for baby to sit on one. for shan rae, i don't think mummy will be bringing the walker out again...

Kadus_Mama said...

forget to add..stand momentarily with me supporting them..hehehehe

agnes said...

btw, I let chloe try only 6 mth AFTER in order to make sure she is more than ready to sit on it..

according to my midwife ai leng (guess u having the same), she said although there are 'concerns' of baby walker but again depends on the readiness of ur baby too & make sure his leg are strong enough..

i do suggest u let jayden try on it since u have bought 1? if notice that he is not ready.. then keep until 1 month later loh.. what do u think?

as for chloe case, she started it when she was 6 mth+ and she totally refused it when she turned 10 mth ever since she can stand steadily...

no doubt we enjoyed the period as short as 4 mth since i can sit down and read newspaper or do house chores while watching her the same time.. hahahaaa

MommyAngel said...

Hi Kristie, I think I agree with your FIL too. As for my Angel's paed, she do not advise me to let Angel used the walker at all because there was so much accidents happened with walkers etc and some other reasons which you can search from the net. So I didn't get her any walker at all but support her to walk a bit around the house everyday and guess what, she starts to walk without support when she was just 9 months old. Just my own experience la.

Mummy Gwen said...

Kristie, of course some westerners use baby walkers also la. Im referring to this website called Babycenter..hehe (experts opinions)

Fussy mum said...

wow...lots of advice from mummies out there. Sharlene's paed advised me never to use a baby walker because of safety purposes. She further said walkers don't help your kids learn to walk sooner. Hence, my gal didn't use the walker.

My sil who put both her kids on walker started them around 5-6 mths.

Bonnie said...

I bought mine for wawa at around 6 months +.

I'm not sure if Fussy mum's comment on "Sharlene's paed advised me never to use a baby walker because of safety purposes. She further said walkers don't help your kids learn to walk sooner." true or not. But besides of let the kids learn to walk, and also a way for them explore their surroundings. Cause I dont think a baby above 6 months will willing to lie down all the time.

For me, as long as the legs are strong and the neck are able to support then should be okay. =)

Kristie said...

joanne- ya seems like 6 mths old is an average time for babies to start of walkers... yup important to put cushion ya, cos their heads still want to tilt forward!

nicole- yup i saw jacelyn's video.. she seems very 'pro' in using the walker already!

lil' twinkle- ok so for a short while like most babies here... do what u feel is right ya :)

kadus mama- that makes more sense!

agnes- nope i dont have one yet... yes we have the same midwife- ai ling! hhhhaha yes... putting them in walkers do give u some time to do other things!

caroline- from all mummy's advice including urs.. it seems that without walkers, babies can learn to walk faster, i guess it's because they dont depend so much on the walker to 'walk' ya?

mummy gwen- thanks, i will read up there as well!

fussy mum- i guess i'll speak to my paed too and see what he says! thanks :)

Kristie said...

bonnie- thanks so much for ur valuable advice, yes neck and legs support are very important! I'll speak to my paed and see what he says!

Wonderful Life said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wonderful Life said...

I think it's true. You can try google about the disadvantages on letting baby use the walker. That's why, I didn't buy any walker for my Ryan and let him learn to walk on his own. And he did to walk a little earlier which is about 11 months... :)

Kristie said...

doreen, thanks for ur advice, clever ryan boy learned to walk so fast ya!

thanks will read up.

LittleLamb said...

I allowed Philip to use the walker. I didnt buy one though cos my cousin "hand-me-down". My theory was, since I used a walker myself n i turned out ok, why not Philip? and yes, limit the usage n adult supervision is advised. No feeding while baby on walker.

Philip walked unaided at month 12. So I guess he is fine. He started climbing grills at 11 months.

Julie said...

I put Jonathan on walker when he was able to sit up and that was around 5 months old. More sayings that walker slow down baby's independence in walking but some do say it helps baby to walk.

I agree with Littlelamb. Use it with supervision and in moderate. Don't put him too long in the walker. Make sure his feet is touching the floor so that he can move around in the walker and that's how he learns the ability of his legs.

Kristie said...

rachel- lucky u, didn't have to spend money to buy one... hheheh! hand me downs are always so helpful :) thanks for ur advice!

julie- yes, very important that they are able to sit up properly on their own... otherwise their head will be floppy all over... thanks i agree with u too that it might help to strenghten the legs!